maanantai 20. tammikuuta 2014

I was of course very happy


I turned on the TV and there was a person named Valter D. Longo staring empty-eyed at the camera and explaining his heroic actions; he'd put mice in small boxes, injected them with brain cancer cells and then tortured them with lethally heavy cytostatic treatments, starving half of the mice at the same time. "So then I get a phone call from my friend and he says that many of the starved mice were still alive, but almost all of the other mice had died of heart failure and brain cancer! I was of course very happy and I immediately told all my colleagues to repeat the experiment!"

For somebody who hasn't had to become a sosiopath to work in these industries, listening to people like this is a bleak experience.

Is it okay to torture millions of sentient individuals to save other equally sentient individuals from suffering? is a complex moral question. It's a lot more complex than Is it okay to factory farm animals to make burgers? (The answer: no.) But I'm afraid these people don't really spend much time asking themselves any complex moral questions at all. Correct me if I'm wrong.

They've had to suppress an important part of humanity in themselves... And they're actually enjoying what they do.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti