keskiviikko 6. maaliskuuta 2013

Some are born Heroes; unloving idiots vs. me and Damon Fizzy

I've deliberately ignored the existence of Damon Fizzy for the last few months, and I've done this for complicated reasons. But tonight I decided to find out how he was doing, and I started thinking about these things again.







Now that you're annoyed let me explain.

Damon Fizzy (or deefizzy, I don't really know what his actual name is) is a young YouTube vlogger. I found him in 2012, in the small hours of a brightening April night. I was wasting time on YouTube, watching Christopher Drew Ingle videos, desperately trying to force myself to like NeverShoutNever's music due to the veganism of the singer (I'M TRYING BUT I JUST CAN'T, THE SONGS ARE SO TRIVIAL), when I suddenly noticed some wise words in the comment section. Someone said something about the fact that Christopher Drew's hair didn't matter, that it was the music that really mattered, and then this commenter got a lot of feedback from other commenters telling, "This is why I love you, Damon", "I wish more people were like you, Damon", etc. So I decided to check out who this wise 'Damon' was. Turns out he was a young person describing himself as a 'meat-free kid', whose goal was to 'make you smile'.

The 'meat-free' part got my heart beating with excitement, and when I realized he had over 300 000 YouTube followers my heart almost jumped out of my mouth (...). I realized there was something interesting happening here.

So I started watching the videos. I watched a lot of them, and at 5.30 AM I finally looked out of the window and realized that it was the most beautiful of April mornings I'd ever seen. I got up, grabbed my iPod and my keys, and went out and wandered the euphoric seaside streets of Helsinki for 3 hours. I was happy. It was a HAPPY Saturday morning, me and the Sea and the Sun alone in the universe. And deefizzy; I was happy that a person like that existed, I was happy that he had 300 000 YouTube followers. Something interesting was happening.

The reason for my happiness that morning, the reason for my happiness every happy morning, was that I'd just realized I wasn't alone. In a world of cruel idiots it's very easy to forget that kind, caring, warm, real humans actually exist. They are here too, somewhere. To be honest, I'd started to feel I was the only teenager on the whole fucking planet who gave a shit about other breathing beings.

The most astonishing thing about deefizzy was that he actually, really, firmly, deeply... cared. He cared. He was a vegan, he actually was a vegan and an animal activist, and in one of his videos he mentioned how he'd stood up for a bullied kid in school, and so on, and so on. This Damon was annoying, but his eyes, his words, his thoughts, everything about him showed that he gave a shit.

The internet is the most frightening place in the world, but now I had found a small corner of it where someone gave a shit. And that gave me hope. I knew I wasn't alone. And that is the best feeling in the world. The best fucking feeling in the whole fucking world.

Damon Fizzy was a lot like me but still different. He was like the even more hyperactive, more social, less intellectual version of me. He was young, just like me, he had acne, just like me, he was distressed yet hyperactive, just like me, he was annoying, just like me, and he cared, just like me. And in his eyes I saw something most people unfortunately lack.

Would you rather trust your life in the hands of the typical sexist, racist, homophobic, pretentious, violent, idiotic, unintelligent, rude, bullying, anti-thinking, unloving brainless teenage idiot, who lists 'Tits' and 'Bacon' as his main interests on his Facebook page, or would you rather trust someone who has passion and a heart and a backbone and a brain?

So many people are assholes. Being a hero takes social courage. There's something heroic about this deefizzy thing.

What if everyone had that little, powerful hero element in them? Would we have violence? Would we have cruelty? Would we have ignorace and indifference? Would be have bullied nerds in the corners of our classrooms or little chicks thrown into the grinder in the wheels of the meat industry? I think not. But it's something I'm afraid we'll never know.

Would slavery ever have existed? Would the Nazi Holocaust ever have happened? Would gay kids kill themselves, would there be child labour?

Something to think about.

I wish all the best to deefizzy. I wish all the best to the weird and the weak. I wish all the best to the losers and the heroes of this world. I wish all the best to me.

Good night.

7 kommenttia:

  1. You know, "good" and "bad" are pretty much defined by the surroundings, the environment, the situation one is in.

    Now, what kind of a situation are you in? In what kind of environment does Damon Fizzy live?

    I mean, it's good to have principles, and principles such as the ones you both seem to hold dear are splendid, but put them to a test. They are needed outside your surroundings.

    I mean, you need to face humanity in all its forms, you need to face those assholes and see for yourself the situation THEY are in, because, what I've gathered from your writings, I assume you don't know too many people, now do you?

    You need to face the world, not just the comfy part of it that reaches you through your iPod, through your Youtube videos, through the uplifting pretty little tumblr pages you follow (I don't know if you follow any tumblrs).

    Before that, before you have actually held someone's head in your hands and fucking wrung it to face the side of the world that you think should desperately be seen, before that you're not a hero, you're just an ordinary man in a cape.

    I'm sorry I had to end this one with a Batman-quote, I truly am.

    Yours,

    Widdling, griddling, skittling, diddling,
    fiddling, diddling, widdling, diddling...

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. I get your point. And I agree.

      The truth is that I can't really know for sure if I'm a hero or a coward. Giving a shit about injustice makes only 30 % of what it is to be a hero, and the rest is ACTION.

      I've stood up for my principles for maybe 5 times in my life, in situations that have actually scared the hell out of me. That is courage, but I can't be sure if I would have the guts to do the same in the most important of battles. I like to think so, but I need to try first. I guess I should start living in the world before I can really say anything about heroes. And I'm going to. Pretty soon. I suppose. I don't know.

      I don't know any people. Any people. I know my mother. But the fact is that if I wanted to, I could start living among people tomorrow. I just don't want to. Not yet. Or, actually, I can't. I've got my reasons, and I have to face and beat them before I can face anything else.

      Thank you for the comment,

      Bruce Wayne.

      Poista
  2. 16 months later:

    I had virtually forgotten about Damon Fizzy. Then I suddenly remembered that he exists and decided to see how he's doing. Turns out he's now referring to his veganism as an 'eating disorder'. He's a pescetarian now. This is maybe the saddest thing that could have happened; fish are the most abused animals in the world, and often ignored for their lack of cuteness. (This pescetarian thing is apparently because his doctor told him that it would make his skin better. Skin comes before animals.)

    I don't know. The cute animals already have their heroes. If you can't be a hero for someone who's ugly and weird, then you're not a hero at all.

    Reading Damon's tweets, I realize that the whole vlogger community consists of thousands and thousands of people who share the exact same personality. Everybody's insecure, everybody's feeding each other's insecurity, intelligence is not present and everybody's full of meaningless wisdom ("believe in yourself and everything's possible!!! :>"). The world of these kids is just ugly and claustrophobic, and Damon is just one of the kids.

    Funny how such little things can give you hope when you're completely out of it. In the end, it's impossible to know why deefizzy meant so much to me for a little while - but does it matter why? He helped me have a little more faith in this world for a couple of mornings, and maybe that's really what he wanted to do - to make me smile - and I'm grateful for that. But hell, the shallow vlogger world is not the place where you should go if you want to find heroes. Damon is a nice guy, but this is something I'm happy to have left behind.

    VastaaPoista
  3. (Find real people in the real world. I guess it's the only thing you have to do. Once you've found them, the ghosts of the internet start being just ghosts of the internet.)

    VastaaPoista
  4. (No hard feelings, Damon. You're great. You'll find your way.)

    VastaaPoista
  5. A year later:

    It's so fucking weird how such little things can mean so much to you.

    I'm not angry anymore. I'm just confused, I'd completely forgotten about this whole thing. All this feels like it happened 50 years ago. Very strange.

    VastaaPoista