sunnuntai 12. huhtikuuta 2015

Disturbingly sexy lips

I'd already started thinking that I was unable to get what the big deal about Hemingway is, but surprisingly, A Moveable Feast is a pretty good book. The best part is where he meets F. Scott Fitzgerald for the first time. (I think that they are both hilarious, mostly unintentionally. I often find serious historical people unintentionally hilarious. They also have great names, "Hemingway" and "Fitzgerald".)

Scott has such sexy lips that Hemingway finds his company disturbing. (What?) Hemingway can't concentrate on what Fitzgerald is saying because he can't stop staring at Fitzgerald's oddly short legs. (What?) Fitzgerald drinks something and starts looking dead (what?), and later he says that it wasn't the drink that made him look dead, he just felt annoyed by some other customers (what?). I don't know, it's so absurd and nonsensical that it's good.

What's interesting is that Fitzgerald suffered from the same tragic condition that I personally know too well: the one that makes you look either super sexy or really horrible in pictures:

Well hello there handsome
Dude, what's going on with your hair?

If I taught a course on literature, it would be fucking ridiculous. But entertaining.

Why am I always commenting on America and American things and American people? I keep doing this so much that my friends think that I'm American. I don't know. Because for someone who watches television, America is everywhere? Morrissey has a song called "America is not the world". Strangely, I've listened to it only once.

4 kommenttia:

  1. It's clear that Hemingway is very good/bad, and it's clear that Fitzgerald is very pretty/ugly

    (I can relate)

    VastaaPoista
  2. Tokassa kuvassa Antti Rinne nuoruusvuosinaan.

    VastaaPoista